Saturday, January 31, 2009

first night out


One thing I would advise parents of a newborn on is to take time for their relationship and for the relationships with their other kids. Of course, this is so much easier said than done. Yesterday, Jake and Hannah had invited us to the movies and Cynthia had offered to babysit our new little man, Jackson. So, after a little discussion with Jeff on the importance of showing Jake that we care about him just as much as his little brother and that we are willing to take time for him, we called up Cynthia and took her up on the offer.

I won't lie, it was hard to leave him. And believe me, Cynthia is a pediatric intensive care nurse and more than highly qualified to care for a healthy newborn and Jeff and I totally trust her with our lives.... it was still hard. After we dropped him off, Jeff, Jake, Hannah and I headed for La Madeleine for dinner. I was a little nervous and kept feeling like something was missing... of course, my Jackson was, but I persevered. After dinner, when we all headed to Starbucks for a little treat, i called to check on him. Of course, he was doing just fine and dandy, eating, playing, and being a good boy for Cynthia. As the movie started (New In Town with Renee Zellweger and Harry Conick Jr), I was feeling a little anxious and it actually crossed my mind to walk out and go get my new little bundle. I reminded myself that this is good for me, Jackson, and Jake. So, I stayed. (On a side note, the movie is cute and a little predictable, but a good show).

It turned out to be a good experience and after picking up our little man and feeding him and snuggling with him, we headed home for a good nights rest. He is doing a little better every day and last night he was in bed by 11, up at 1230, up at 230, then Jeff got up for the day at 530 this morning. Much better, as he is going back to sleep in between the feeding intervals.

Today has been a little challenging, Jackson has an eye infection. We called the local urgent care and they wont see a baby at this age for that and referred us to the emergency room. We had been over at Mammie & Poppie's house visiting Auntie Jaime and Auntie Alysha and were all packed up and in the car when the pediatrician on call phoned us back to say she would call in a prescription and stay out of the ER. YAY! That is good news, but the conjunctivitis isn't. So, now little Jackson will be on the eye ointment for a few days and we have to follow up next week. Photos should get interesting with the left eye being a little red and goopy from the medicine. Oh well, there are those ups and downs in caring for a newborn.

It is great seeing Jake this weekend. I love it when he is home. He is always a great joy to be around... and I am just a proud mom. No work on his application from LSU yet... they were still waiting on his high school transcripts. He is considering playing football for McMurray in Abilene, TX or Louisiana State in Baton Rouge, LA. I will say Jeff and I prefer LSU to McMurray because it is (1) closer to home, (2) it actually has his major in an accredited industrial engineering program, and (3) its a larger school that will offer him to join the fraternity he wants to, like his dad, and give him more options at friends and a social life, and (4) some larger companies in the Houston area recruit for jobs from LSU, giving him an opportunity to return to the Houston area to work and live, like he wants to do. We just keep praying God will lead Jake in the direction he should go.

0 comments: